Skip to main content

Boca Hawaii Norman Tamanaha 15 K

So Kevin, one of my neighbors who speeds walks the marathon asked me if I have been training for the marathon.  I honestly run/walk 2x a week but not long distances.  He warned me that since its getting closer to doomsday I need to work on my mileage.  OMG yes 26 miles, what was I thinking.   I looked at the my Runkeeper app and honestly I have only been running 1-2 miles.  I seriously need to train!

To motivate me to run longer I added more races.  Call me crazy.  I signed up for 808 Race Hawaii 2017 BioAstin Marathon Readiness Series.   This is a set of 5 races leading up to the Honolulu Marathon.   I told myself why not.  Spending money on my health, enjoying the outdoors and running somewhere other than my home turf should be fun.  Yes, I am crazy.

So the first race, was the Boca Hawaii Norman Tamanaha 15 K (9 miles).  I have ran 8 miles and hiked 16 miles before so I was confident I could do this.   I had less than 2 weeks before the first race and I did walked/run a little more...  Yesterday before my volunteer shift I picked up my packet at Boca Hawaii and took advantage of carb loading eating lot of yummies.  I ate a chicken bagel sandwich from This is it Bakery, Korean fried chicken baa and lobster macaroni and taters from Bao Tao'n and donuts from Dunkin Donuts.  Yes I was a fatty.  As I prepared for my race the night before. I realize how unprepared I was and started to get nervous.  What was I getting myself into?  Couple days ago my daughter and fiance got sick and I may have gotten their cold or maybe my allergies was acting up because I was coughing and had a running nose.  I got my stuff prepared and went to bed before 10pm.

I got up at 3am, did my normal routine: check my BP, take my BP meds, allergy med, hydrated, drank coffee.  Eventually I got ready,  I wore my Run Rest Repeat shirt from Old Navy, My No Excuse Mom hat, and Yelp wrist band.  I had my breakfast of turkey, cheese tortilla.  I was too nervous to eat, but knew I would get hungry.  I brought frozen blueberries with me and nuts.  I also had extra battery pack for my phone, lip balm.  I almost forgot my sunscreen and socks.  I headed out to Kapiolani Park but I was confuse on where to park.  Eventually I found my way and joined the racers.  I felt odd, like I was not in the right place.  I had no one to talk to, but I people watch till they called the "walkers" to check in.   Since my pace is about 15 minutes I placed myself in this category.  We were allowed to start 20 minutes before the "runners".  Raul from Boca Hawaii gave his speech and we were off.


1 mile - I am doing good.  I "ran" most of the way.
2 mile - slight incline on Diamond Head.   I "ran" and enjoyed the beautiful surf.  I saw the aid station and got a water and Gatorade, then dumped the weird juice and got more water.
3 mile - steeper incline on Diamond Head.  I walked because the runner started to past me and got intimidated.
4 mile - downhill so I started to "run" till we got to Kahala Mall and realized I was half way through. I hydrated with 2 cups of water at the next aid station.
5 mile - its getting hot!  I started to slow down again.  My right heel ached a bit.  
6 mile - wahoo 1/3 more to go.  I kept my pace barely walked but I know I was slow
7 mile - I see bikers.  I want to ride a bike back.  I walk/run most of the way.
8 mile - wahoo, 1 more mile to go.  This is where I started to get emotional.  I started to think about how close I was to the finish line, how busy it has been at work.  How hard I have been working these past few weeks and to do something like this, I am crazy, but even though work is hard, and running is hard too I was enjoying this crazy race!


I held back my tears and completed the 9 miles.   I was so happy that I did my first 15 K and by myself.  I drank 2 cups of water ate a brownie did some stretch and digged out.  I was about 8am.  Might as well go home and eat.  I ate donuts, left over chicken, kale and scramble egg.

Official results: Top 24 walker, top 12 female in my age group, total time: 2:13:53, pace 14:24 minutes/mile

Come to think about it, I think this is my faster then my last GAR results!.  I've come to realized that running is a therapy.  It can be tough, but it also takes practice, patience and persistence.  I must be crazy to be enjoying this!  Now to make sure I do my stretches and massage row.


Comments